Saturday 22 September 2012

A2 - Legal Restraints and Age Ratings

There are obviously some legal restraints with any type of filming. One would be getting permission to film at locations that are private property. To get around this, I do not intend to film at any locations that are private property, and instead plan to only film in public places, where there are no laws against it. If I need to film at any private property, I will be sure to get permission from the owners. Another would be regarding the people being filmed. To film people under the age of 18, consent from their parent or guardian is required.

I also have to watch out and make sure none of the ideas I use are copyrighted. However, because we are creating the ideas ourselves rather than adapting an existing story or idea, we should have no problems with any copyrighting issues.


The standard ratings system in the UK is the BBFC, which is the panel that determines what age certificate a film receives. The possible age ratings are: U (universal), PG (parental guidance), 12A (12 advisory), 12, 15 and 18.

My film would probably be rated as 15. I could not make an 18, because it would be ridiculous for someone under the age of 18 to make a film he wouldn't be old enough to watch. As a violent horror film, it cannot be lower than a 12, and due to some of the scenes I have planned, which are fairly gruesome and imply heavy violence and gore, it would have to be rated 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment