Friday 9 March 2012

Analysing SurveyMonkey Results and Identifying A Target Audience

The first two questions I asked were to identify the target audience in terms of age and gender. I found that the majority of my audience were aged between 14 and 19, and were male. This is partially representative of the primary genre I have chosen, hip-hop, whose main target audience is between 15 and 25, and male. However, I posted my survey on my Facebook page only, and not many of my friends on Facebook are older than 20, so this may not be fully representative of the true potential audience.
The third question I asked was how often the target audience read music magazines. I found that the majority of my target audience read music magazines moderately often.




My fourth question was to identify the genres of music my target audience are interested in. The three most popular genres amongst my target audience were rap/hip-hop, dubstep/drum and bass, and techno. To represent this, I decided to change one of the articles in the contents page to represent a well-known dubstep group.

The next question I asked was to find out how many teaser articles should appear on the front cover, alongside the headline. The majority of the target audience felt that 2 teasers would be enough for the front cover, however I have chosen do do more than this, because the front cover I made looked empty with only two teaser articles.

The sixth and final question I asked was for my feature spread, to find out what styles of story appeal the most to the target audience. The story that appealed the most to my target audience was an interview, and as such I have chosen to do an interview on my feature spread.




Identifying My Target Audience

The primary target audience for my music magazine is working-class (social grades C1-E) males, aged between 16 and 26. They will primarily be fans of rap and hip-hop music, however there will be articles referring to dubstep/drum and bass music, as well as techno music. They will have part-time jobs, and generally be located in more urban areas.

1 comment: