Friday 9 March 2012

Designing a Masthead

I decided my magazine was going to be an urban magazine, with features on hip-hop and dubstep mainly. After this, I chose the name “Rave Magazine”, to further enforce the image of a club-music magazine.


To make the masthead stand out more from all of the other text, I considered colouring each letter in the word RAVE in different colours, to further represent the image of a club, with multitudes of flashing colours, like you would actually see in a club. However, in the end I decided that this was a bad idea, because the name did not look as good as I had hoped. Instead I chose an orange colour, because orange is not commonly seen on a front cover, and therefore it would make the magazine stand out.

This is a prototype idea for my masthead. After having created this, I realized that the font I had used, Myriad Pro, was too bland and plain, not very suitable for a youth magazine. Therefore, I had to find a more appropriate font.

The next font I considered was Cooper Black, however I felt that this font appeared too childish and therefore I decided not to use it.

The next font I tested was Marker Felt. I felt that this font was a good font to use on the front cover, however I did not want to use it on the masthead.

The next font I thought about using was Bauhaus 93. I thought that this was a good font to use elsewhere, but not on the front cover. I decided to keep this in reserve for use in the contents page or double page spread.


Another font I conidered for use on the masthead was Chalkduster. I felt that this looked like an appropriate font, appearing as though it has been partially torn up, which follows Hall’s theory about the youth, and how they enjoy destroying things. However, in the end I decided against using it on the front cover.

I considered using the font Che Lives! from UrbanFonts.com, however I felt that the fire effect on the bottom of the word detracted from the overall image.


The next font I looked at was Alpaca54, also from UrbanFonts.com. I thought that this looked very representative of the youth, and therefore I chose to use it as the masthead.

1 comment: